Monday, April 2, 2012

Party like it's 1940!!

1940 Census poster, The Newberry Library
Today at 9:00am EDT the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) rolled out the 1940 United States Census to the public --- currently their server has crashed, so try later!

I'm not just blogging about this because I'm a genealogy nerd (though I'm pretty freakin' stoked!!  I feel like I've waited 72 years for this....), but because Census records are a fantastic tool to use to track down information about our bio-fathers and his family.  On many profiles the ages of the donor's parents are listed.  If his parents were born before 1940, they will be in the Census.  And of course, the more detailed the donor profile, the more useful these tools can be!!  My best advice on using the Census is if you have a potential candidate person.  Again, it's not a tool for dry run searching.  Talk to me about what tools are useful before you have a person of interest....(hint, hint --- DNA!)

And of course for much older offspring, those conceived pre-1970, the chances of your biological father being listed in the 1940 Census increases dramatically!!

Strictly using Census records is not going to get you anywhere, but in combination with other print and electronic records and trails, they are a fantastic tool to help you piece together your own story.

So go take that Family Finder Test!!!!  GO!!!  NOW!!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, i'm just out on a blog walk tonight and this is the first time i've come across yours. I just wanted to say that, from what i've read, i've real enjoyed it! Very interesting concept and great cause to pursue! I'm looking forward to reading more.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, I've been reading your blog for quite some time now. I am a lesbian and my partner and I are in the early stages of starting a family using a donor (no pregnancies yet, but we do have a donor).

I just wanted to let you know that it was your blog that made us decide to choose a non-anonymous donor. We never really thought about it before I came across your site. Just thought you'd like to know. -M

Anonymous said...

Hear! Hear! So glad, too, about the 1940 census. As a searcher, I'm hoping it will provide clues. Adopted almost 60 years ago, in a closed record state, the trails are faint, and may be impossible to follow. Armed with only my DNA, I pray for a miracle, for all of us who search.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey,

Hi I am new to your blog. I am so happy you are getting the issue out there!! I found your site on google after looking for any help I can get. I am a 33 yr old female who just found out I too am donor offspring. To say the least my world has been turned upside down. I am not sure I want to meet my donor but do want donor health hx and ethnic background. Would you suggest 23 and me or this one? I am starting therapy this week? Any other suggestions would be very helpful!

Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Did you stop writing your column permanently?

Anonymous said...

What has happened to you. Why do you no longer write your blog. I think you owe all your readers an explanation on why you just dropped off the face of the earth.