Project website: Donor Conceived DNA Project
The main goals of the project will be as follows:
- A central location for donor-conceived individuals to locate half-siblings
- A central location for former and current donors to locate their biological children
Other goals of the project are to provide awareness to donor-conceived adults, former/current donors, and parents of donor-conceived children to the benefits and successes of using DNA tests to identify not only half-siblings but to give direction to the identity of the biological parent, and to analyze the DNA of donor-conceived adults in an anthropological light.
Benefits of joining the project are:
- A place to direct potential half-siblings to without dealing with costly and ineffective and inconclusive half-siblingship DNA tests using CODIS markers
- Ability to have expert advice on interpreting results and assistance on using results to identify potential biological parents
- Opportunity to be involved in a revolutionary project that can confirm donor relationships without the use of donor numbers, mother's DNA, or costly registries
- Opportunity to identify donor-conceived adult relatives beyond half-siblings (such as cousins)
Benefits for the donor conception community as a whole:
- Identify DNA trends among donor-conceived adults
- Identify relative groups who all acted as donors (such as fathers and sons or brothers)
- Identify donors who may have donated at multiple locations with different donor numbers
- Identify significant age gaps in donor-conceived half-siblings from the same donor
Tests currently accepted:
- FTDNA's Family Finder autosomal test (for males and females to identify genetic relatives on all lines including paternal cousins and male and female half-siblings)
- FTDNA and any compatible 3rd party company's Y-STR tests (for males only to identify genetic relatives from the direct paternal line...useful in identifying possible surnames of biological father and confirming only male half-siblings)
YOU MUST ORDER (or already have done) A DNA TEST TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS PROJECT!!!
FTDNA's Family Finder test: $289 (PREFERRED)
FTDNA's Y-STR tests: starting at $169
Disclaimer for minors:
Parents of donor-conceived children are advised to make sure that your child is of an age to consent to having his or her DNA swabbed and added to the FTDNA database as well as this project. I strongly suggest minor children be at least 13 years of age.
Upon requesting to join you will be asked to answer the following questions
DNA tests ordered:
Offspring or donor:
Year of conception or years donated:
Sperm bank or clinic where donor donated (if known):
Doctor that performed the insemination (if known):
Place of conception:
Donor number (if known):
Siblings (if any) - please note if any siblings have done DNA tests and what tests:
Please email me with questions or concerns about these tests or the project.
Feel free to repost this announcement to other DC groups.
Donor Conceived DNA Project